Real-life voice behind Peppa Pig is medical student | Daily Mail Online
Peppa Pig goes to university! Real-life voice behind the hugely popular porcine cartoon character reveals she’s an 18-year-old medical student
- Cecily Bloom, 18, provided the voice for Peppa Pig between 2006 and 2009
- For many, she’s the definitive Peppa Pig although she’s never been recognised
- The student has now started her first term as a medical student at Cardiff Uni
- Auditioned as a young schoolgirl but had no idea how big Peppa would become
It’s a voice that has entertained an entire generation of children – and spawned a billion-pound industry that includes a film, theme park and merchandise franchise.
However, fans of Peppa Pig, one of the world’s most popular cartoon characters, might be surprised to learn that the voice behind the schoolgirl pig belongs to an 18-year-old medical student.
Cecily Bloom provided vocals for the cute pig between the years of 2006 and 2009 and is regarded by many as the definitive Peppa.
Scroll down for video
Peppa Pig, the hugely popular cartoon character who loves jumping in muddy puddles and playing with her brother George, was voiced by Cecily Bloom between 2006 and 2009
The teenager, currently a fresher at Cardiff University, has been opening up about her time playing Peppa; her voice remains the definitive version of Peppa according to some fans
Although her face is unknown, Bloom’s voice gave her a highly lucrative part-time job while she completed her studies.
Now 18, the fresher hopes to be a doctor one day, although Bloom looks back fondly on her time as a television favourite, safe in the knowledge that her voice has been heard in 150 countries around the globe.
When she got the part, Cecily said she had no idea how big the show was – in fact she hadn’t heard of it when she auditioned for the role aged seven.
‘I used to go to Stagecoach (acting school) when I was younger,’ she said.
‘I was offered an audition and I just went for a bit of fun and ended up getting the part.
‘The audition was really relaxed, I remember all I had to do was read Peppa’s lines from a script into a microphone, which was pretty cool because I’d never been in a recording studio before.
‘I had a really great time playing Peppa, mainly because the producers were always up for a laugh and made it fun. I didn’t have any idea how popular the show would become.’
Best Saturday job ever! Bloom says the producers of the show made sure filming was fun when she secured the role as a young schoolgirl
Fans would approach Bloom after hearing her speak and realising she sounded just like Peppa
Cecily – who also voiced Lizzie Elf on the hit animated series Ben and Holly’s Little Kingdom – said she was still surprised to be asked for an autograph when people recognised her voice.
‘The best thing was definitely messing about in the studio whilst recording, and visiting the animation studios to see how they put the show together,’ she said.
‘The only bizarre situations were when people ask for autographs, which I find strange because I’m really not a celebrity.’
Although she enjoyed being Peppa, she is now determined to embark on a medical career.
‘I enjoyed voice acting but it was just something I did for fun and was never really something I wanted to go into seriously,’ she said.
No more muddy puddles! Bloom says she’s serious about medicine and wouldn’t go back to acting
‘I want to do medicine because I think it will be a really interesting and rewarding career.’
So, will she be tempted to reveal all to her new roomats? Cecily says not: ‘I was going to try and keep it quiet but I don’t think it will be too long before people find out.’
And will she lapse into Peppa mode after a few drinks on a heavy night?
‘Haha, I really hope not, but who knows what could happen? Everyone asks me to do Peppa, but unfortunately my voice has changed quite a lot since playing Peppa, so my impression isn’t all that great.’
- Prince Harry speaks at the Invictus Games opening ceremony
- Terrifying moment a man faints and falls onto train tracks
- Dad mows down teacher who tries to stop him using staff car park
- James Willmott-Brown makes dramatic return to Eastenders
- Woman who appears to be BA stewardess posts offensive video
- Woman launches into racist outburst at kebab takeaway staff
- First footage of ISIS fighters laughing and joking together
- Harry and Meghan make first public engagement together in Toronto
- Vehicles seen heading down the hard shoulder as M3 is shut down
- Shocking footage of man gored to death by a bull in Spain
- Meghan Markle enjoys the Invictus Games with Markus Anderson
- Burglar breaking into shop gets hit by car as he’s running away
- Budding model, 29, who survived 80ft fall from a hotel…
- Father of ‘murdered’ French nanny, 21, whose burned body…
- British car salesman who claimed he accidentally choked…
- Former PA who worked in administration for 14 years…
- Now Charles promotes his loyal aide to director role:…
- EXCLUSIVE: ‘All the Nigerians are gonna be asking for…
- Newly-married Tory MP Andrew Bridgen ‘moans about having…
- Jessica Ennis-Hill reveals she has given birth to her…
- Is YOUR tenner worth thousands? How to spot whether your…
- Six-inch high Fabergé flower worth £1m is the most…
- Boyfriend, 27, ‘abused his partner with a kitchen knife…
- Hunt for the body of murdered British canoeist in the…
- Army veteran, 46, who served in the Gulf and Afghanistan…
- Parent who mowed down a teacher in a fit of rage when he…
- The astonishing moment a man suddenly collapses and flips…
- Dear customers – I’m sorry! Uber boss apologises for…
- Mother is fined £60 after stopping in a hotel car park…
- The most chilling betrayal of all: RICHARD KAY on the…
On – 25 Sep, 2017 By Jo Tweedy